Saturday 4 October 2008

A Birthday outing

On her birthday, Mum had decided that she would like an outing to the museum in Skagen, a small town at the very north of Denmark, 40 Km north of where Mum lives.
It is the museum's centenary this year and they have managed to get an exhibition of 600ish old paintings from the area together.
The town of Skagen was very well known to painters in the latter part of the 19th and early part of the 20th century. When I was a child, we always had an annual outing here to look at the paintings.
Here are some of my favourites
















My absolute favourite. It is an enormous painting. Description can be found here.
We now have a print of it on our corridor wall here ;o)

After the museum, we went for a drive to the west coast. I had been told that they had demolished a very picturesque church as it was in danger of toppling in to the sea due to coastal erosion! I would rather they had left it alone.

You can see photos of what it used to look like here and here.

I could not take any photos as it was very windy and the wind was full of sand; I did not want the camera sandblasted!


From the church, we could see this

The pointy bit at the top of the sand dune is a lighthouse, again you can see more here. All the buildings are now covered in sand!
We drove a bit closer


We did not leave the car due to the sand, but I managed to get this photo of the sand coming over the top of the dune. We are in the car park at the foot of the dune.

We had thought we might have a meal out, but in the end we went home and enjoyed a smoked salmon sandwich instead.




1 comment:

Totty Teabag said...

I have quite a few of those pictures on my bookshelf, Eve. I bought them as a pack of cards from IKEA.